If you need to issue a refund to a client, you can do so via the Refund tool on the client's invoice in your Sales Activity. If you are a Staff member, you will need access to the business' Sales section.
- Navigate to your Business tab.
- Select Sales.
- Under your Sales Activity, locate the correct invoice for the client. You may need to expand the date range or search for the client by name depending on how long ago the client paid.
- Select Refund on the bottom of the invoice.
- Complete the fields in the window that displays.
- Select how you will issue the refund in the Refund Method field.
- Enter the Refund Amount to be refunded. The amount cannot be greater than the original amount.
- Enter a Reason for why you are issuing a refund. This will display on the invoice.
The updated invoice will show the original subtotal, the refunded amount, the new total, and the reason for the refund. You can issue multiple refunds per invoice if needed. To do so, repeat the refund process for each payment method. Each refund type and explanation will appear on the invoice.
Also, if the payment was a prepaid booking, be sure there are no credits available on the client's record if you do not want the client to book using that credit in the future:
Note the following rules that apply to refunding credit card transactions.
- Only transactions paid with a credit card through MassageBook can be refunded to a credit card. If the transaction was not paid with a credit card, Credit Card will not show as an option for refund payment method. Once you have issued a credit card refund, it can take 7-10 days to process and post to your client's account.
- Refunds via credit card are issued to the credit card that was charged (and only to credit cards that have been processed through MassageBook). Transactions paid by credit card can be refunded by Credit Card, Cash, Check, or Store Credit. Transactions paid by Cash, Check or Store Credit can be refunded by Cash, Check or Store Credit.
- Transactions paid with multiple credit cards cannot be refunded within MassageBook. Please contact Support@MassageBook.com for assistance with the refund.
- Credit card refunds cannot exceed the amount originally charged to a credit card. An error message will appear if attempting to refund a credit card more than the amount charged to the card.
- Credit Card Processing Fees and New Client Fees are not returned to the business unless the total value of the credit card sale is refunded to the credit card. Please contact MassageBook Support regarding New Client Fees for partially refunded transactions. If you are processing a partial refund to the client via credit card, the credit card processor will not refund processing fee from the initial client charge.
- Due to changes in Square's policy, Credit Card processing fees will not be returned when a full refund is issued by a Square connected businesses
- If a US business is refunding a Canadian card, the amount returned to the client is based upon the exchange rate for the day of the refund. This means that if there is a period of time between when a card is charged and when a card is refunded, the amount that posts back to the client's bank account could be less or more than what they originally paid. The client can clear it up with their bank to receive the correct amount.
You cannot issue a refund if the payment was made more than 1 year ago. This is a restriction on part of the credit card processor.
If you receive an error message, "Unable to find the transaction in given location" this means another Square or Stripe account was connected at the time the transaction was processed. You will need to log into your Square or Stripe account directly and locate the transaction to refund it, or connect the previous account to MassageBook temporarily to issue the refund.
If a Marketing Fee was taken from a prepayment, and a refund has been processed from Square directly, there will still be a partial balance left on the MassageBook receipt equal to the Marketing fee.